The estimated reading time for this post is 207 seconds
As an online merchant in Malaysia, accepting payments from customers is an essential part of your business. One of the key components of online payments is the payment gateway, which serves as the intermediary between your website and the bank that processes the payment.
However, payment gateways do not come for free. They charge fees to merchants for each transaction that they process. These fees can vary widely depending on the payment gateway provider, the type of transaction, and other factors. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at payment gateway fees and how they work for Malaysian merchants.
Types of Payment Gateway Fees
There are typically three types of fees associated with payment gateways: setup fees, transaction fees, and monthly fees.
1. Setup Fees
Setup fees are one-time charges that payment gateway providers may charge when you sign up for their service. These fees can range from a few hundred to a few thousand ringgit, depending on the provider and the complexity of the setup.
2. Transaction Fees
Transaction fees are charged for each transaction that is processed through the payment gateway. These fees typically range from 1% to 3.9% of the transaction amount, with a per-transaction fee of around RM1.00 to RM1.50.
3. Monthly Fees
Some payment gateway providers may also charge a monthly fee for their service. This fee is typically charged to cover the cost of maintaining the gateway and providing support to merchants. Monthly fees can range from a few hundred to a few thousand ringgit, depending on the provider and the level of service.
Factors That Affect Payment Gateway Fees
Several factors can affect the fees charged by payment gateway providers. These include:
- Payment Gateway Provider. Different payment gateway providers charge different fees. Some may offer lower transaction fees but higher setup fees, while others may have no setup fees but higher transaction fees. It’s important to shop around and compare different providers to find the best fit for your business.
- Transaction Volume. Payment gateway providers may offer discounted transaction fees for merchants with high transaction volumes. If you anticipate processing a large volume of transactions, it may be worth negotiating with your provider for lower fees.
- Payment Type. Some payment types, such as credit cards, may have higher transaction fees than others, such as bank transfers or e-wallets. Consider offering a range of payment options to customers to reduce the impact of these fees.
- Risk Level. Payment gateway providers may charge higher fees for merchants in high-risk industries, such as gambling or adult content. If your business falls into one of these categories, be prepared for higher fees.
- Currency Conversion. If you accept payments in multiple currencies, your payment gateway provider may charge additional fees for currency conversion. These fees can vary widely depending on the provider and the currency.
Understanding payment gateway fees is an important part of managing your online business. By knowing the types of fees and factors that affect them, you can make informed decisions about which payment gateway provider to choose and how to structure your pricing. Remember to shop around and compare different providers to find the best fit for your business, and negotiate for lower fees when possible. With the right payment gateway and fee structure in place, you can provide a seamless payment experience for your customers and grow your online business.
At edxaPay, we believe in providing our customers with flexibility when it comes to payment gateway fees. That’s why we offer different degrees of fees depending on your chosen plan. Our FREE sign-up option has no hidden annual or registration fees, allowing you to enjoy competitive pricing that won’t break the bank.
For online banking transactions, our fees are as low as RM1.00 per transaction. Click here to see more details of our plan.
If you’re a developer or a SaaS provider, we also offer special rates that are tailored to your unique needs. Feel free to chat with us to discuss further and find a pricing plan that works best for you. At edxaPay, we’re committed to making payment processing easy and affordable for businesses of all sizes.